Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thoughts on our Religion in Schools discussion

I think our class discussion on Religion in the Public Schools yesterday was really quite interesting, and I've been thinking about this and have a couple of questions/comments on religion in school and classroom community.

1. The scenario with the child who upon being asked what they did over the weekend says, "I was saved by Jesus." This is a delicate situation that requires a delicate touch by the teacher, but I think one thing that should be avoided is what I think of as the "kids say the darndest things approach." This is a really easy approach, and totally understandable, especially for those teachers that themselves are not religious. However, I think that it's important to acknowledge that this it is very likely that this is an important part of this child's life. If a teacher, someone whose opinion the child probably values hugely, does not seem to take the child seriously, is this building bridges to the child? Would instead a comment like, "I'm very happy for you, that must have been an important moment for you, I'm glad you felt you could share that with me," be legal/appropriate?

2. The scenario that was brought up where one child, I'll call him Johnny, offends another child's, I'll call him Paul, takes exception to this due to religious beliefs. While I understand, and support, the fact that I can't tell Johnny to put his feet down because Paul's or my own religions have some compunction against it, can I turn this into a lesson on classroom community? Could I for example explain to Johnny that when he puts his feet up it makes Paul feel like he is not welcome in our class, and while he may not himself see anything wrong with putting his feet on the furniture, everyone is different, and it helps our class when everybody loves and respects each other.Does this constitute state advancement of a religion, or does it constitute promoting a tolerant and welcoming classroom community? Or maybe both?  I hope that made sense, on a grammatical level.

I thought it was a really interesting discussion we had yesterday and I value the cohorts opinions on these matters. Whether we as individuals are religious or not, religion is in our classrooms, in incredible diversity, and this is a great opportunity! Religious freedom is an intrinsic part of the American Republic, and I am so glad we live in a nation where a students religion is not repressed. Many countries even in the developed world, I'm looking at you France, do not give this liberty. Considering that this is how America is, what do we as teachers do about it?

Flavius Arrianus

2 comments:

  1. Florin, great questions.
    1. You're right. Religious comments should be treated just as any others, with respect for the child and acknowledging the significance for the child and perhaps asking questions since sharing time is often partly about language development.

    2. I like to think more generally about our work being partly about teaching children to speak for themselves and to tell their own stories. It would be great for Paul to learn to explain both what his family believes and how his family understands that not everyone means the same thing by gestures that have significance to them. Teachers can help by doing read alouds or having a variety of literature in the room that also explains how different people live. There's a clear secular purpose in children learning to explain themselves.

    I appreciate that you see the complexity of being sensitive to children who adhering to the law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you acknowledge the value a child can/may place on a teacher and that this is crucial area where delicacy is required. Also, religion is a difficult thing for many people to talk about but especially as a child who may not fully understand or even support the religion they practice with their parents. Thus, developing a respectful vocabulary for the element of ones identity which so many people in this country uphold as most important can be immensely helpful for all students.

    ReplyDelete