Sunday, October 5, 2014

The magic rectangle

To be honest, I don't really trust consumer technology. I think it's ease and novelty often do more harm then good. That's why initially, I thought our new magic rectangle was mainly useful as a paperweight and a backup flashlight. I have however re-evaluated my thoughts on it for a couple of reasons.

1. I got a pocket constitution app so I don't need to carry my paper copy around with me and I can appreciate our republic any time I want. Also it has the federalist papers. This is of great educational value, I can put the greatest ever set of earthly laws on a screen for children, and it even has little explanations for the kiddos.

2. I can get many public domain books for free. I will use this as an opportunity for self improvement. The classics have survived all these years because they are good and have words of truth in them, and now I have whole libraries of truth at my fingertips for free!

While I would still never spend my own money on one of these magi rectangles (I could save towards buying a long term US treasury bond with that money), I have found some uses for mine. I will not wait with bated breath for the next great achievement in consumer technology though, there is always some new thing to spend money one. After all, there is nothing new under the sun.

1 comment:

  1. Patrick you've come a long way from the grumbling, growling student you were last week sitting there glaring at your magic rectangle!

    ReplyDelete