Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chipotle

I have come across an interesting way to build relationships with students. It has come through a fictional obsession with the popular chain of Mexican eateries Chipotle. The facts are these. In my first period seventh grade Language Arts class on October the 29th, I was reading a list of vocabulary words to the class and for each word I thought of a sample sentence that uses the word. With no prior planning on my plot, two of my sample sentences were about my enjoying Chipotle. For example, using the word "roused" I said, "I could be roused out of bed if I heard the town crier announcing a sale at my local Chipotle." Or something similar to that. For whatever reason, in the mind of a few boys this really stuck in their head, one of them still just calls me Chipotle, which I should probably attend to (unless he only wants my attention, however I don't feel annoyed so I'm not sure if that's it.) First of all, this has helped me build relationships with a few students so that is nice. Second of all, some students I have seen getting more excited about learning vocabulary words, since they want to think of sentences about Chipotle that accurately use the word. I am very interested and am thinking hard as to how I can use this to further educational goals. For now though, it is really funny to me at the very least.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a funny story. I guess it just proves what we have been reading about in Routman, that shared writing is valuable, especially when it's about something personal to you. Though I must admit, the fact that you made it funny just added an extra element that probably helped the kids form that connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s all about making connections. Even though the process is significant, in this particular case the product is more important. Students like making special connections especially outside school settings.
    Your story about Chipotle is funny. Food is and always will be the most important factor binding people ☺

    ReplyDelete