Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Post for the week of 1/18 to 1/24

[THIS IS LATE]

I learned many interesting ideas this week in my classes, but there was one thing in particular that I learned that stood out. In literacy class, I learned that if you give students different sections of a reading and have them go in turns, they will not learn very much, and that there is some good research to support this thought as being true. This is because they will be rehearsing their own bit in their minds and focusing on performance rather than on comprehension. Instead, read to them or have them read silently to themselves. This is a very useful piece of knowledge, mainly since that is something that I have been doing and now I know to stop. It is sometimes difficult to stop something that seems like common sense at first, but it now seems that I should not do that anymore, so I won't. It is good to have people who have earned a high level of expertise in their field to tell me what is good to do and what is not good to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment